While Atlassian offers a cloud-based solution to their products, there are a number of reasons why an individual or a company might not want to purchase a subscription.
It might be because a local instance is required, because of the available plugins. The JIRA server version has a vast amount of plugins that are not compatible with Atlassian Cloud.
There also might be a requirement to protect sensitive data and disallow online connectivity.
Whatever the reason, Atlassian offers both a Cloud hosted or a local server instance of JIRA.
The following is a guide to install JIRA on Linux (requires root access).
1. Download the JIRA Software Server Linux binary.
2. On the Linux server, execute the binary as root.
$ sudo ./atlassian-jira-software-7.1.9-x64.bin Unpacking JRE ... Starting Installer ... Aug 01, 2016 1:44:33 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1 run INFO: Created user preferences directory. Aug 01, 2016 1:44:33 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$2 run INFO: Created system preferences directory in java.home. This will install JIRA Software 7.1.9 on your computer. OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]
7.1.9 with the version number as it may be different.
o and press
Enter to continue.
Choose the appropriate installation or upgrade option. Please choose one of the following: Express Install (use default settings) , Custom Install (recommended for advanced users) [2, Enter], Upgrade an existing JIRA installation 
1 and press
Enter for Express Installation.
Details on where JIRA Software will be installed and the settings that will be used. Installation Directory: /opt/atlassian/jira Home Directory: /var/atlassian/application-data/jira HTTP Port: 8080 RMI Port: 8005 Install as service: Yes Install [i, Enter], Exit [e]
Keep a note of the directory and port details for future reference.
i and press
Enter to start the installation process and wait for the JIRA instance to be configured.
Extracting files ... Please wait a few moments while JIRA Software starts up. Launching JIRA Software ... Installation of JIRA Software 7.1.9 is complete Your installation of JIRA Software 7.1.9 is now ready and can be accessed via your browser. JIRA Software 7.1.9 can be accessed at http://localhost:8080 Finishing installation ...
6. Launch a browser session and navigate to JIRA instance specified in the ouput message from Step 5.
7. Two options are displayed; Set it up for me or I’ll set it up myself.
Set it up for me does the entire process automatically without user interaction.
Click on I’ll set it up myself to setup a production environment and click Next
8. If another database already exists such as, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle etc., then this can be used instead.
For this guide, select Built In (for evaluation or demonstration) to use the JIRA HSQL database and click Next
9. Enter an Application Title to identify this JIRA server instance, e.g. JIRA Server, and click Next
10. Keep note of the Server ID this is required by Atlassian in order to generate a valid License Key.
Click on generate a JIRA trial license link.
11. Login to your My Atlassian account.
If you do not have an account, create a new account by clicking on the Sign Up link and completing the details.
12. On the New Evaluation License screen, accept the defaults and click the Generate License button.
13. Accept the confirmation message to install the license key on the server by clicking the Yes button.
14. The License Key is populated on the screen from Step 10.
Click the Next button to configure the license.
15. Enter the administrator account details and click Next
16. Set up email notifications can be performed later.
Click Finish to complete the JIRA setup.
17. Select a language and Continue
18. Select an Avatar and click Next
19. Unless this is your first time using JIRA, you can Skip quick tour
20. JIRA is now completely setup for use.
FAQ & Troubleshooting
$ sudo /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/stop-jira.sh $ sudo /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/start-jira.sh